1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To varmint, or not to varmint...that is the question...

Discussion in 'Red Dead Discussion' started by Chinny-againny, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Chinny-againny

Chinny-againny Gunslinger

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 27 / -1
    So, a lot of people have been raving on youtube about the varmint rifle in PVP matches and how it's such a great weapon that they need to remove it because people are dominating matches with it etc. It does fire really fast, I'll give it that, and it also has a really large clip so reloading is rare....and if you can line up a headshot it is a one shot kill......so it does have it's perks and I will admit that up until last night it was my go to weapon.

Then, after getting my but kicked a few times in PVP matches I decided to switch to the Lancaster repeater. Now, I'm not sure if I got better at headshots from using the varmint rifle or what the deal is, bu the second I switched to the Lancaster I started doing better. More kills, more headshots, more point, more XP, and most improtantly, more money. Now maybe it's just that I'm not as good at headshots as I thought I was (and it's different on RDR 2 over RDR 1, I was a headshot master on that shit), or maybe it's the fact that in most cases 2 shots with the Lancaster kills someone so if I mis the headshot it's easy to get that 2nd shot....maybe I'm paying more attention to my reticle and waiting for the shot. I'm not sure...but after last night I'm sticking with the Lancaster for a while.

2. Chinny-againny

Chinny-againny Gunslinger

Ratings Received:
    +226 / 27 / -1
    Also finding now that once I got used to the bolt action it might be even better. If someone manages a head shot on me with the varmint than they will probably kill me but that's pretty much true of any rifle or repeater in the game. However, if I miss a head shot with the bolt action (which has a very long range when upgraded) but land a body shot the 2nd shot kills every time. this is mostly true with the Lancaster as well but the bolt action has greater range. The only issue with the bolt action is it is slow to reload after a shot so if you miss you have to dive. I have won several most wanted matches using nothing but the bolt action and in most cases end up in the top 5 at the very least.